Euclid Beach Park opened in 1895, incorporated under The Euclid Beach Park Company. They were losing twenty thousand dollars a season, but if they sold the land they would lose more than half of their investment. They leased the park to the Humphrey family and it opened in 1901 under their management. The first "Arch" was constructed entirely of wood. It stood about a quarter of a mile east of where the existing main entrance gate arch stands.
The main entrance gate arch still standing today, was constructed circa 1921. It was constructed entirely of wood and designed to resemble a large letter "H" as in Humphrey. The sign in the crosspiece originally said "Humphrey Park". The public referred to the park as "Euclid Beach Park' rather than "Humphrey Park" and the words in the centerpiece were changed.
The foundations of The Arch are octagonal in shape, each side is approximately 36" long. the distance between parallel sides is approximately 96". Both towers have a door on their back side. Permanent wooden ladders are along one wall of each tower which pass through an opening in the first floor ceiling to allow access to the interior of the centerpiece. Originally a number of incandescent bulbs were used to illuminate the letters spelling out "Euclid Beach Park" in the crosspiece. They were later converted to neon; the wiring insulators are still inside the centerpiece. Around 1942, a contractor was hired to install stone covering called "Permastone" to the outside of the arch. The Arch is a designated Cleveland landmark as authorized by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission.
The Arch is a designated Cleveland landmark as authorized by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission.
On January 11, 2007, an SUV crashed into the east tower of The Arch. The impact tore out about a third of the first story walls of the east tower and caused the tower to shift partially off its foundation, about six inches toward Lake Shore Boulevard, the main street, in front of The Arch. There was damage at the crosspiece where it connects to the east tower. Force of the impact was transferred through the centerpiece and to the west tower causing it to rotate slightly on its base. The City of Cleveland Building Department and Landmarks Commission responded immediately that day. Due to severe damage, they called in a company specializing in structural damage who temporarily installed scaffolding bracing under the crosspiece to prevent a collapse.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held at the Euclid Beach Arch on Tuesday, June 12, 2007, at 10:00 a.m.
The restoration of The Arch was nominated for the 2008 preservation awards presented by the Cleveland Restoration Society and AIA Cleveland. The awards ceremony was held on May 6, 2008, at the Ohio Theater, part of Cleveland's Playhouse Square complex. An award of merit was presented to:
Past Euclid Beach Park Now President
Frank researched the Arch and the materials used in its construction at the time of the January 11, 2007 damage, which assisted in its repair.
January 16, 2024
Band Organ Temporarily Removed
January 1, 2024
Check out the new, reprinted article for January/February 2024 on THE ARCH page. RED BUG BOULEVARD an article that appeared in THE ARCH, Volume 18, Issue 3, Spring 2007
November 16, 2023
2024 Calendar offer. Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel, HOME page.