Euclid Beach Park Now (EBPN) honors and preserves the memory of Euclid Beach Park, arguably Cleveland, Ohio's most famous and beloved amusement park, which operated from 1895 through 1969.
If you have any comments or suggestions for this website, please contact EBPN. An email form is at the top of the CONTACT US page.
The year was 1969. In July just about all Americans were sitting in front of a television to watch Neil Armstrong become the first man on the moon. In August of that year a music festival was held on a farm 43 miles from Woodstock, NY. In Cleveland on June 22, the Cuyahoga River caught fire for the 13th and most significant time. September 28 was a nice fall day in Cleveland; overnight temperatures were at 45 degrees with the day time temperature reaching 61 degrees. At Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium, the Cleveland Browns beat the Washington Redskins by a score of 27-23, giving the Browns a 2 and 0 start under head coach Blanton Collier. The Redskins, under Vince Lombardi, were now at 1 and 1. Later that day, eight miles East of the stadium along the Lake Erie shore, Cleveland’s foremost amusement park, Euclid Beach Park, was just a few hours away from closing for the last time after 74 seasons. The park’s three remaining roller coasters would pull into the unloading platform with the operators proclaiming, “Wait until the train stops.” They did, for the last time.
The mission of Euclid Beach Park Now is: To support the education of the public as to the history of Euclid Beach Park through lectures, exhibits, displays, memorabilia shows, television and radio appearances, and any other available form.
This website was launched to assist in meeting that part of the mission. It contains historical information on Euclid Beach Park and some of its rides and attractions. Euclid Beach Park opened on June 22, 1895, and closed on September 28, 1969, after 74 seasons.
The western portion of the old amusement park is occupied by a health service facility and two senior citizen high rise apartments. The old arched entrance to the amusement park stands at the entrance to these facilities on Lake Shore Boulevard at East 159 Street, Cleveland, OH 44110. The eastern portion of the old amusement park is now a public park under the management of Cleveland Metroparks. The entrance to the current park is at 16301 Lake Shore Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44110.
An email form is at the top of this page which when sent will go to our in box. Also, learn about becoming a member (download our membership form), about sharing your Euclid Beach Park memories (download a "Memories" form) or book a presentation on the park for your group or organization.
Euclid Beach Park Now participates in a number of events throughout the year, some relate specifically to Euclid Beach Park. At all events items on Cleveland's most beloved Amusement Park are displayed.
From its inception in 1989 as the Euclid Beach Park Nuts, the organization has published a quarterly newsletter for its members. Called "E.B.P.N. . . News" then "Euclid Beach Newsletter" in 1992 the name that stuck THE ARCH. Articles that are contained within the pages are authored by former park employees and park fans who have researched aspects of the park. Every quarter a new, reprinted reprinted article will appear at the top of The Arch page.
Euclid Beach Park operated for 74 seasons, surviving the "Great Depression" and local competition before closing in 1969. Five books are referenced that will offer a more indepth look at Cleveland's most famous amusement park than this website. A timeline is included highlighting major events.
During the "Golden Age" of amusement parks who were Euclid Beach Park's competitors.
An "Arch" has served as the entrance to Euclid Beach Park ever since the Humphrey Family took over management and then ownership. Severely damaged in 2007 it was restored. The Arch is a designated Cleveland landmark as authorized by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission.
Euclid Beach Park was possibly the original "Roller Coaster Capital" having four. A roller coaster was added the second year of the parks operation. Roller coasters are a part of the park's legacy.
LaMarcus Adna Thompson obtained one of the first known patents for a roller coaster design in 1885, related to the Switchback Railway that opened a year earlier at Coney Island. Euclid Beach Park had one installed for its second year of operation, modeled after the one at Coney Island. This page presents the history of the Switchback Railroad.
It has been said the roller coaster is the heart of an amusement park, its soul the carousel. In Euclid Beach Park's second year of operation a carousel was added. It would have four more during its history including a unique racing carousel.
The carousel pictured here called Euclid Beach Park home for 59 years. After the park closed in 1969 it found a new home in a small, resort, amusement park in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Its future unsure when that park was sold in 1976. Unbelievably it returned to its roots. This page covers that journey.
Patented in 1913 as a Merry-Go-Round. To say the least, it was a very unique Merry-Go-Round. Euclid Beach Park had one, installed in 1921. This page gives the history of this distinctive type of Merry-Go-Round.
The organs were constructed so as to be able to produce the popular music of the period. Organs were designed to mimic the musical capabilities of a typical human band. Euclid Beach Park had a few over the years. The one shown here provided music for roller skaters.
One of five original structures when Euclid Beach Park opened. It was used to dock ferries bringing guests from downtown Cleveland. Although not used for such with the advent of street cars and automobiles it was a popular free attraction to the end.
Laff In The Dark, Euclid Beach Park's classic dark ride.
Over The Falls. Before the climax of this ride, an outdoor slide down an incline into a channel, boats gently floated through a dark tunnel.
Euclid Beach Park Now's annual event held on the Sunday closest to September 28th, the date in 1969 which the park closed forever.
The link below will take you to a report on the event held in 2021.
Entrance to Euclid Beach Park
This massive carousel was first installed at Euclid Beach Park in 1910. Then when the park closed forever in 1969 it found a new home in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. It returned to Cleveland in 1997. Not only did the carousel return but also the band organ that provided the music for the riders at Euclid Beach Park. Both are in a pavilion specially constructed for both.
The carousel now resides in the Cleveland History Center of the Western Resrve Historial Society. Founded in 1867, Western Reserve Historical Society is the oldest cultural institution in Northeast Ohio, the region’s largest American history research center, and one of the leading genealogical research centers in the nation.
10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
October 1, 2022
Check out the new article for 2022's 4th Quarter: October, November, & December On THE ARCH page.
EUCLID BEACH ANOTHER LOOK BACK
Reprint of an article that appeared in Euclid Beach Nuts Newsletter predecessor of THE ARCH Euclid Beach Park Now's quarterly newsletter: Issue 3, May 1990. Authored by Robert Callaghan
June 10, 2022
Arch to be restored and relocated - Euclid Beach Arch Page
September 21, 2022
Updated "Latest Issues of The Arch" The Arch Page